What we believe:
The members of Racial Justice Rising believe that:
- White people created racism to rationalize and justify the results of colonization: genocide, enslavement of free peoples, destruction of Indigenous societies around the world, and other inhuman behavior.
- White supremacy is the cornerstone of racism.
- Racism is one of the primary tools of social control in the U.S. and world-wide, embedded in economic, housing, education, judicial, healthcare, and other systems, and in civic and interpersonal relations.
- Racism, which can manifest as internalized racial superiority in perpetrators or internalized racial inferiority in those targeted, causes immeasurable harm to both.
- To help build the movement for racial justice by contributing to a deeper understanding of systemic racism and racial justice.
- To engage in restorative activities that help to heal the racial divide and bring justice for people targeted by racism.
Our activities are designed to:
- Bring people of all backgrounds and experience into the movement for racial justice. Our white members especially reach out to others of European descent.
- Help build public support for reparations and restorative justice for descendants and survivors of slavery, the genocide of indigenous peoples, and other legacies and present day crimes caused by racial oppression.
- Address and redress conditions of racial injustice in our own communities.
While much of our work is focused in our local area, we reach out to and are connected with the broader movements in our region and the nation.