Our occasional e-newsletter, usually published once or twice a month, with links to events, articles, videos, websites, & more relating to racism & racial justice.
Saturday, August 6th, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
The Nolumbeka Project’s 3rd annual
featuring Native American artists, musicians, vendors, and educators
We’ll have a table at this wonderful community event – come say hi!
VIGIL FOR RACIAL JUSTICE
Every Saturday morning 9-10 a.m.
Greenfield Town Common
~ Please join us ~
Co-sponsored by Racial Justice Rising and the Visioning B.E.A.R. Circle Intertribal Coalition
Black Lives Matter
– Black Lives Matter’s 10-Point Manifesto, from Politicsbreaking.com
– We Must End State Violence Against Black Bodies: Mychal Denzel Smith and Marc Lamont Hill on Democracy Now
– A Conversation With My Black Son, a video by Geeta Gandhbir and Blair Foster at the NY Times
– Woman in Viral Arrest Video Speaks Out, from Errol Barnett at CBS
– What I Learned About Police Brutality Videos From Studying Images of Lynchings, by Koritha Mitchell at Vox.com
– Timeline from PBS – this image says it all
Criminal Justice & Injustice
– The Second Amendment’s Second-Class Citizens, by David A. Graham at The Atlantic
– The Counted: People Killed By Police In U.S., an interactive database from The Guardian
– Modern Day Patty Rollers, by Linda Burnham at Counterpunch
– Teaching About Race, Racism, and Police Violence: A Resource for Parents and Educators, from the Washington Post
– How Environmental Violence Connects with Police Violence, by Brentin Mock at City Lab
– Black Farmers to Buy From Instead of Whole Foods, by Victoria Massey at Blavity
– Brethren By Nature: New England Indians, Colonists, and the Origins of New England Slavery, a new book by Margaret Ellen Newell
– Canada Adopts U.N. Declaration of Indigenous Rights, from CBS news
– The Fatal Police Shootings You Aren’t Hearing About, by Roque Planas at Huffington Post
– Citizen, An America Lyric, by Claudia Rankine
– The Link Between Racism and PTSD by Monnica T. Williams, Ph.D., at Psychology Today
White Privilege/White Antiracism
– A Letter From A White South African to White America, by Bronwyn Lea at Huffington Post
– White Nonsense Roundup, new on Facebook
– A Flowchart For People Who Get Defensive About Racism, by Mira Jacob at Buzzfeed
– A History of White Delusion by Nicholas Kristof at the New York Times
– What I Said When My White Friend Asked for My Black Opinion on White Privilege, by Lori Lakin Hutcherson at Good Black News
The members of Racial Justice Rising are ordinary people who are troubled by the persistent racism that plagues this country. Believing that the damage caused by racism must be repaired before our society can be whole, we work for just and respectful treatment for all. We share a vision of a multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-faith community.
Our mission is to:
While much of our work is focused in our local area, Franklin County, MA, we reach out to and are connected with the broader movements in our region and the nation.
Thank you, readers who send us information for these newsletters! We welcome links to articles, videos, event listings, and other resources.
– We welcome your feedback!
– Please share with others who might be interested.
– To be removed from this email list, please reply with “remove” in the subject line.
© 2016 Racial Justice Rising | Theme by Mizmizi