Our occasional e-newsletter, usually published once or twice a month, with links to events, articles, videos, websites, & more relating to racism & racial justice.
Racial Justice Rising’s activities:
See videos of our programs and more on Racial Justice Rising’s YouTube channel.
Every Saturday morning 9-10 a.m.
Greenfield Town Common
~ Please join us ~
Co-sponsored by Racial Justice Rising and the Visioning B.E.A.R. Circle Intertribal Coalition
Articles, websites, and other resources
African Americans, Black History, Slavery
– U.S. Owes Black People Reparations for History of Racial Terrorism, Says U.N., by Ishaan Tharoor at the Washington Post
– Speakers Call For Federal Reparations, by Janelle Odionou at the Cornell Daily Sun
– Black Explorers We Should Celebrate Instead of Columbus, by Rhonda Racha Penrice at The Grio
– Quest To Find Slave Ships That Sank In Atlantic, from the Washington Post
– 23 Ways To Get Killed If You Are Black In America, a video with Alicia Keyes, Beyonce, Talib Kweli, Janelle Monae, and more
Criminal Justice & Injustice
– Free online tool for police to determine if they are enacting bias in traffic stops, from RTI International
– Police Originated From Slave Catching Patrols, from CounterCurrent.
– As of 9/20/16, Police Have Shot and Killed At Least 2195 People Since Ferguson, by German Lopez and Soo Oh at Vox
– Pass the Preventing Tragedies Between Police and Communities Act, a petition from Credo Action
– Racial Profiling Starts in Preschool, by Kali Holloway at Alternet
– 10 Books About Residential Schools To Read With Your Kids, by Chantelle Belrichard at CBC News
– How Microaggressions Are Like Mosquito Bites, a short video from Fusion Comedy
Health, Health Disparities
– The Invisible Man, an infographic from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Indigenous, First Peoples, Native Americans
– Ranchers Tote Guns As Tribes Dig In for Long Pipeline Fight, by Jack Healy at the New York Times
– Indigenous People & Water Protectors Arrested, a short video from Red Warrior Camp at Dakota Access Pipeline
– All The Real Indians Died Off and 20 Other Myths About Native Americans, a new book by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz and Dina Gilio-Whitaker, from Beacon Press
– More Cities Ditch Columbus Day for Indigenous People’s Day, from Telesur 10/9/16
– U.S. Government to pay $492 million to 17 American Indian Tribes, by Rebecca Hersher at NPR
– Why do 40 Masssachusetts high schools still have Native American Mascots? by Alison Pohle at Mass.com (This was written a year and a half ago, wonder what the number is now.)
– Hijabi World, voices of young Muslim women in a short film by Julie Winokur
Whiteness, White Privilege, White Antiracism
– Whites Who Are Scared They Will Be Called Racist, a video with Kathy Obear from Philippe After Hours
– For White People Who Believe Black Lives Matter, by Rebecca Griffen at Huffington Post
Other groups’ events:
The members of Racial Justice Rising are ordinary people who are troubled by the persistent racism that plagues this country. Believing that the damage caused by racism must be repaired before our society can be whole, we work for just and respectful treatment for all. We share a vision of a multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-faith community.
Our mission is to:
While much of our work is focused in our local area, Franklin County, MA, we reach out to and are connected with the broader movements in our region and the nation.
~Interested in becoming more involved in RJR’s work? Email us for more info.
Thank you, readers who send us information for these newsletters! We welcome links to articles, videos, event listings, and other resources.
– We welcome your feedback!
– Please share with others who might be interested.
– To be removed from this email list, please reply with “remove” in the subject line.
© 2016 Racial Justice Rising | Theme by Mizmizi