Our occasional e-newsletter, usually published once or twice a month, with links to events, articles, videos, websites, & more relating to racism & racial justice.
STEP UP! BYSTANDER TRAINING
Bypass your fear and be an engaged bystander in your community!
with Strong Oak
10:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m, doors open at 9:15
First Congregational Church of Greenfield
43 Silver Street, Greenfield MA 01301
Area youth speak out – more info soon!
Info and photos from other past RJR programs here
Videos of our programs and more on Racial Justice Rising’s YouTube channel
Black History Month
– Meet Robert Smalls, from Imgur
– Kids talk Black history, a short video from Global Citizen
– Black picture books that aren’t about boycotts, buses, or basketball, from Scott Woods Makes Lists
– Films and resources to celebrate Black History Month, from Point of View
– Federal judge rules that a key tool in immigration crackdown is illegal, by Joel Rubin in the LA Times
– Activist Ravi Ragbir granted temporary stay of deportation, by Victoria Bekiempis and Nancy Dillonat the Daily News
– ICE unbound, by Jamelle Bouie at Slate
and here in western MA:
– Click and scroll down for a great list of local resources and suggestions from panelists and others at RJR’s February 3rd program, Immigration & Trump: Franklin County’s Response
– Undocumented Hampshire College student to walk 250 miles for immigrant rights, from the Valley Advocate
Saturday, February 17, S. Hadley MA: Vigil for Racial Justice
Saturday, February 17, western MA, location tba: Open House for UNtraining White Liberal Racism
Saturday, February 24, NYC: Addressing Disparities in Discipline for Black Children
Thursday, March 8, Amherst MA: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism, videos with Ian Hanley Lopez, with discussion
Saturday, March 10, Easthampton MA: Transforming Education for Social Justice Conference
Wednesday, March 28, Bronx NY: Audre Lorde/Women’s History Month
April 4-7, 2018, Grand Rapids MI: WPC 19, the 2018 annual White Privilege Conference
April 19-21, Springfield MA: Undoing Racism Workshop for Youth and Adults Working with Youth
Saturday May 6, Greenfield MA: All Souls Unitarian Church’s annual Antiracism Film Festival
May 9-12, Ryerson, ON, CA: White Privilege Conference – Global
November 8-10, Detroit MI: Facing Race, A National Conference, from ColorLines
The members of Racial Justice Rising are ordinary people who are troubled by the persistent racism that plagues this country. Believing that the damage caused by racism must be repaired before our society can be whole, we work for just and respectful treatment for all. We share a vision of a multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-faith community.
Our mission is to:
While much of our work is focused in our local area, Franklin County, MA, we reach out to and are connected with the broader movements in our region and the nation.
Thank you, readers who send us information for these newsletters! We welcome links to articles, videos, event listings, and other resources.
– We welcome your feedback!
– Please share with others who might be interested.
– To be removed from this email list, please reply with “remove” in the subject line.
© 2016 Racial Justice Rising | Theme by Mizmizi